Selling your house this year? Make sure it is prepped for listing! Take a few weekends to work on your home by following these three steps. Get ready to make an amazing first impression on potential buyers and secure an offer!
1: Clean up and Clean outThe importance of cleaning and decluttering may sound obvious, but can be overlooked. Here are some ideas to ease the process:
- Declutter: This is the best time to get rid of the unused and the unnecessary. You can donate, sell or give away anything you don't need. Some recyclers will pick up large metal items free.
- Deep clean: Though the most time consuming task, it is also the most rewarding! Think of it as spring cleaning on steroids. Be sure to attend to the kitchen and bathrooms! Cleaning the inside and outside of your windows proves to be a big improvement to the overall appearance of your house!
- Organize: Out of sight does not always mean out of mind. As potential buyers estimate storage space, they tend to open cabinets and drawers. Organization signals to them that you take care of your house.
2: RepairFix these Do-it-yourself problems before showing your home:
- Any leaking faucets or running toilets
- Replace caulking around tubs, showers and sinks
- Freshen up or repair grout as needed
- Repair walls and repaint them in a neutral, generally pleasing color that complements your home
- Fix cracked or broken windows
- Replace or repair damaged window screens
- Replace burned-out light bulbs
3: Curb AppealThe outside of your house should make potential buyers want to see the inside. Cleaning is not just for inside the home!
- Trim bushes, shrubs and trees
- Make sure vegetation isn’t touching your roof or siding
- Repair broken downspouts and gutters
- Maybe apply new mulch, river rock and/or pea gravel
- Clean and repair concrete areas, such as driveways and walkways
- Eliminate any oil or grease stains, and clean out any weeds coming up through the cracks
- If able, put out some pots of annuals, which will maintain their color for the season
- Get a new welcome mat and make sure the house numbers are easy to see
With a bit of elbow grease, your home can be welcoming and eye catching; inside and out!